About Stephanie Kusie
On April 3rd, 2017, Stephanie Kusie was elected as the Member of Parliament for Calgary Midnapore. She won the riding with a decisive margin, earning 77.2% of the vote. She currently serves as the Shadow Minister for the Treasury Board.
Stephanie was born and raised in the community of Calgary Midnapore and earned a degree in political science from the University of Calgary. Stephanie went on to obtain her Masters in Business Administration from Rutgers University.
As a diplomat for the Canadian federal government, Stephanie served in Argentina in 2006; was chargée d’affaires and Consul for Canada in El Salvador from 2006-2008; and Consul for Canada at the Consulate in Dallas, Texas from 2010-2013. She also served as policy advisor to the Honourable Minister Peter Kent during his time as Minister of State for Foreign Affairs for the Americas in the Harper Administration in 2009.
Elected as a federal Member of Parliament in 2017, Stephanie has held several key roles within the Conservative caucus, including:
- Official Opposition Deputy Shadow Minister for Health
- Official Opposition Shadow Minister for Democratic Institutions (Sept 2018)
- Official Opposition Shadow Minister for Families, Children and Social Development (Oct 2019)
- Shadow Minister for Transport (Sept 2020) and most recently the Official Opposition Shadow Minister for Employment, Future Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion (Nov 2021)
- Shadow Minister for the Treasury Board (Oct 2022)
- Executive Member of the Canadian Chapter of the Parliamentary Network on the World Bank and the IMF (March 2023)
In 2018 Stephanie accepted an invitation to become a member of the Trilateral Commission and was elected to the Executive Committee of the Canadian Section of ParlAmericas Interparliamentary Association.
In 2020, she joined the International Parliamentary Network for Education as a founding member.
Stephanie speaks English, French, and Spanish fluently, and enjoys travelling and spending time with her husband James and their son Edward.