On May 1, 2020, the Prime Minister made an announcement banning certain types of firearms through an order-in-council: “Prime Minister announces ban on assault-style firearms”
Justin Trudeau is using the current pandemic and the immediate emotion of the horrific recent attack in Nova Scotia to push the Liberals’ ideological agenda and make major firearms policy changes.
The Liberals have made it clear throughout this crisis that they do not respect the democratic role of Parliament. If the Prime Minister has the strength of his convictions, he should wait until the health crisis has passed and introduce legislation in the House of Commons, so that it can be debated, and Canadians’ voices can be heard.
Taking firearms away from law-abiding citizens does nothing to stop dangerous criminals who obtain their guns illegally. The reality is, the vast majority of gun crimes are committed with illegally obtained firearms. Nothing the Trudeau Liberals announced on May 1st addresses this problem.
Conservatives have and will always support common-sense firearms policies that keep guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals.
Conservatives want to see a plan that includes:
- Support for police anti-gang and gun units
- Youth prevention programs
- Action on rural crime
- Tougher sentences for violent offenders
- Support for courts and prosecutors
- CBSA Firearms Smuggling Task Force
- Increased access to mental health and addictions treatments
If you would like to express your concern regarding the firearms ban, you may wish to sign one, or both, of the petitions sponsored by the Official Opposition.
- 431-00171 (Public safety) Sponsored by MP Brad Vis
- e-2576 (Democratic process) Sponsored by MP Todd Doherty